News:

You dictate 100 languages including German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc. Check all dictation commands: Dictation software commands

Main Menu

[SOLVED]how to punctuate Braina's speech

Started by lucas.bibby, Feb 13, 2017, 09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas.bibby

Sometimes, despite having my windows SAPI voice (Braina's voice) dialed into the exact speed I like, speech can seem rushed or jumbled together.

I have found that using commas, dashes and spaces adds some break in Braina's speech.   when creating custom replies the
<br/>seems to punctuate the speech a bit too (as seen when trying the "Twinkle Twinkle" example provided here.  however when creating custom commands
<br/>does not punctuate speech, but does format the presented text response (handy for sure, but not what im looking for in this instance).

As an example:
When I was creating a simple morning routine command:

I create the command call "Good Morning" and ask it to execute
echo Good Morning sir, The current time is:. time. echo Todays date is:. day. date. echo The . weather

but that produces a jumbly paragraph of information and Braina reads it off without breathing (that is to say, quickly, and without pause).

I have tweaked the voice speed to a sweetspot where it sounds natural in most cases, but when making custom commands, sometimes things get jumbled, especially when executing back to back commands such as time and date or date and weather.

with some trial and error I was able to come up with
echo Good Morning sir, <br/><br/> The current time is: <br/>. time, . echo , -  <br/><br/> Todays date is: <br/> . day, . date, . echo , -  <br/><br/> --The . weather
and that produces something much closer to what I want.   though still not perfect.  I want longer pauses between data points -- Time, date, weather -- so my pre-coffee morning-brain can absorb the information.

more trial and error showed me that adding more commas, spaces, dashes or
<br/>will not punctuate the speech at all, and only affect the presented text.

is there another (better) way to punctuate Braina's speech (add pauses and breaks) to achieve a more natural sounding read?

saurav

You can add silence or pause in speech using the <silence msec=x> <silence msec="x"/> tag where x is the number of milliseconds to pause speech. For example, <silence msec=1000> <silence msec="1000"/> will pause speech for 1 second.

lucas.bibby

hi saurav

i must be using it wrong.

i have appended my custom command to this:
echo Good Morning sir, <br/><br/>. <silence msec=2000> . echo The current time is: <br/>. time, . <silence msec=2000> . echo , -  <br/><br/> Todays date is: <br/> . day, . date, . <silence msec=2000> . echo , -  <br/><br/> --The . weather in caesarea, Ontario . <silence msec=5000> . news .
but all that seems to have done is lessen the commands being executed.  i have seen this before when setting custom commands.  there is a max number of commands to execute.??

i also tried inside the echo command.  like this
 echo Good Morning sir, <br/><br/> <silence msec=200>  The current time is: <br/>. time . echo
<silence msec=200>  -  <br/><br/> Todays date is: <br/> . day, . date, . echo <silence msec=200>  -  <br/><br/> --The . weather in caesarea, Ontario . echo <silence msec=500> . news .

that seems to silence speech entirely.  seems to display nice though.

saurav

Apologies, I specified the wrong tag syntax. The correct syntax is <silence msec="x"/>. So your custom command should be as follows:

echo Good Morning sir, <silence msec="2000"/><br/><br/> The current time is: <br/>. time . echo <br/><br/><silence msec="2000"/> Todays date is: <br/> . day, . date, . echo <br/><br/> <silence msec="2000"/> The . weather in caesarea, Ontario . echo <silence msec="2000"/> . news

lucas.bibby

I marked it as solved because a good answer was supplied, but I still cant get it to work on Braina 1.38.

I have adjusted the silence time longer and shorter..  no difference.   

also, more of just a minor annoyance, but with the above code in your last reply, (for my good morning command) always opens the news first, before echoing or listing time date weather...   even though news is the last thing I want opened and last command in the string...   

saurav

You can change the news command to "news in <city>" or "news in <country>" (without quotes). Replace <city> or <country> with your city or country name. This way the news will be shown in Braina's window itself and it will be shown at last.

lucas.bibby

Quote from: saurav on Mar 13, 2017, 06:10 AMYou can change the news command to "news in <city>" or "news in <country>" (without quotes). Replace <city> or <country> with your city or country name. This way the news will be shown in Braina's window itself and it will be shown at last.

Thanks.  Good tip.  That did make the news show up at the right time.