[Solved] Dictation feature taking too long to send text to 3rd party programs

Started by thiagofico@gmail.com, Oct 14, 2015, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiagofico@gmail.com

Hello,

I have a problem regarding the dictation feature. I am a translator, and I purchased Braina to use this feature to speed up my work on third-party text editors, but the software takes very long to send the text dictated by me to the third party program. The text stays grayed out on the Braina's dictation window for even up to a minute before turning black and being sent to other programs. I have tried NotePad, Microsoft Word, Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench, and Chrome. My office internet connection is very, very fast, so I believe this is not the issue.

Some info on my machine:
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 @ 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
64 bits
Firewalls are off
McAfee Antivirus

Any tips on how to fix this?

Thank you,

Thiago

saurav

@thiagofico@gmail.com

Hi,

The delay usually occurs if the program is not able to detect end of speech (a pause). There can be many reasons for this:

1) Background noise : If you are dictating in a noisy environment then the program may not be able to detect when you have stopped speaking and the text may stay grayed out and wont be sent to the third party program. Try dictating in a silent room by speaking clearly and close to the microphone.

2) Low quality or in-built microphone : Low quality microphones are not able to filter out background noise properly.

3) In-appropriate microphone settings : Sometimes the microphone settings may hinder the end of speech detection. To open microphone settings, enter "open sound" (without quotes) in Braina's window. This will open sound settings dialog. Select the "Recording" tab. This will show you the current microphone in use. Select it and click on properties button. This will open "Microphone properties" window. The "Levels" and "Advanced" tab has various microphone options. We found that the microphone volume of 90 and microphone boost of +24.0 dB is the optimal setting but the perfect setting for different systems may vary. You may have to adjust these settings which works best for you. The "Enable audio enhancement" option in Advanced tab works differently with different microphones and you may have to check whether it works for you if you enable it or when you disable it.

4) Slow Internet speed : Slow internet speed may cause delay in speech recognition.

Tip: If you have an Android device then you can use Braina's Android app to dictate into your PC. Using the Android app will definitely fix the issue.

thiagofico@gmail.com

Embarassingly enough, the problem was just the microphone settings.

Thank you for you time,

Thiago