News:

You dictate 100 languages including German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc. Check all dictation commands: Dictation software commands

Main Menu

INI File Format for Sharing Custom Commands and Aliases

Started by jrsofsd, Dec 04, 2022, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrsofsd

I propose that Braina use the industry standard INI file format to store and share user data, like custom commands and aliases. See INI file

When Braina starts it would read all INI files in the (new) "%appdata%/Brainasoft/Braina/Ini/" folder.

This change would have obvious benefits:

• Sharing - Users can truly share their favorite commands and aliases.
    For example, before I had hand surgery I created several custom commands that would help me operate my computer one-handed. If I could put these commands into "one_handed.ini", I could very easily share those commands with other users.
  • Grouping - As part of my "one-handed" efforts I created commands to facilitate switching between Windows tasks. If I change the name of one of those commands it now goes to the end of the Custom Commands list, visibly far away from the other task switching commands.

Example - my "task switch.ini" file with 3 custom commands (tv = Task View) would look like this:

[Custom Commands]
tv=press @{TAB}
back=press %({TAB})
double back=press %({TAB}{DELAY 400}{TAB})

Note that a complete INI file would contain all 3 sections:

[Custom Commands]
[Voice Recognition Aliases]
[Custom Replies]

This change would require new code to handle duplicate command/alias names. The user should have the option to rename one of the duplicates, or choose which to use (Braina would have to remember the choice). As a developer I understand that writing new code instead of fixing bugs is a difficult choice. However if Braina is to become the great product that it's visionaries imagined, it needs to continuously grow.  8)