News:

Check out Braina's new Standalone AI Chat Android App : Chat GPT alternative

Main Menu

What is Natural Language Processing?

Started by Brainasoft Team, Feb 16, 2015, 06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainasoft Team

Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a field of artificial intelligence whose goal is to design and develop programs that can analyze, understand, and generate languages that humans use naturally, so that eventually we will be able to interact with our computer just like as we are talking with another person.  Natural language processing includes word and sentence tokenization, text classification and sentiment analysis, spelling correction, information extraction, parsing, meaning extraction, question answering and much more.

Braina - Human Language Interface is an example of a software that uses Natural Language Processing.

biorpg

I was somewhat disappointed when I tested Braina with the birthday example and it did not understand simple grammatical changes.
(These were typed):

"My birthday is xx/xx/xx." was not recognized at all.
"xx/xx/xx is my birthday." was not recognized at all.
"xx/xx/xx is my birthdate." was recognized. Braina thanks me for the information.

"How old am I?" was not recognized at all."
"What is my age?" gave a null response.

"Month day year is my birthdate". Braina is glad to know that.

"25 Month Year is my birthdate." Thanks for that information.

"25th Month Year is my birthdate." Glad to know.
"What is my age?" A few disappointing minutes closer to 31 than I was before.

DragonMage

I'm not an admin but I found that if I went to Tools -> Update Profile and entered my birthday there that it would give me an accurate reply, "54 years, 6 months and 5 days"

biorpg

Quote from: DragonMage on Mar 25, 2016, 03:50 PMI'm not an admin but I found that if I went to Tools -> Update Profile and entered my birthday there that it would give me an accurate reply, "54 years, 6 months and 5 days"

Well that's easy. You're giving it the information via a form that it can be programmed to look through. My disappointment was with the fact that the examples seemed to suggest natural language recognition, which would mean that you should be able to say(or type into Braina's text interaction) your birthday in several different ways and it would be recognized.
For example,

##-##-##
##-##-####
##/##/##
##/##/####
<month> ##, ####
## <month>, ####
and
<day>, <month> ##, ####

should all be patterns that are checked for a valid date if the context of the input makes sense for it to be so

also a sentence beginning with "My birthday is" should be synonymous with a sentence ending in "is my birthday."